Reading Rotations

Reading + Writing

Below is an extract from the last chapter of a book. You must read the extract then answer the following questions in your English book.

Retribution

1: In you own words explain what Retribution means. Your may use a dictionary to help with your understanding of the word.

2: What do you believe Kaspar did to have this event happen to him? You answer must be at least a paragraph long. Use the information that is given in the text to make an ‘educated guess’ as to what has happened.

3: Why do you believe Tal Hawkins has chosen for this to happen to Kaspar, rather than have him punished to death? Again your answer must be at least one paragraph long and you need to give reasons for your answer.

4: The book finishes on an epic note. I want to know what happens next! You need to write the next chapter of the book, picking up right from where the author left off. Your chapter needs to be a minimum of one page of your English book!

B.T.N

http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s4723095.htm

Create a warning poster about CREDIT CARDS OR ‘QUICK LOANS’. You may need to research ‘dangers of finance’ or similar search words.
Use the information from the clip and make sure you add graphics and phrases that deliver a strong message.(You can create a paper or digital presentation.)

Worms + Analogies

You must complete these questions in your English book. Remember to use full sentences and ensure your work is neat!

Analogies

Earthworm Facts

Earthworm Q’s

I.L.T

Complete the following activity on Africa in your English book.

Africa

Note: You will combine question 11 + 12 (Create + Hands On). Instead of answering these two questions separate you will pick one country in Africa and create a brochure/poster encouraging tourists to visit. Think about what makes your chosen country unique. Why should travelers visit your chosen country over any other?

–

–

–

–

–

–

B.T.N: World Time

Watch this B.T.N about the different time zones we have in our world.

http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s4178067.htm

After watching this B.T.N you need to complete this activity about the time differences between cities in the world. The link is below.

World Time

Reading + Writing

Complete this task in your English book. Your writing must be neat and your page must be set out correctly.

Solve The Riddle

The Play

You are going to present a play to the grade. Using this session, you need to practise acting out your play. Remember, you are putting on a show for 6M, so be entertaining.

Aliens + Pirates will be performing:

The Sugar and Spice House

Skeletons and Ghosts will be performing:

The Greedy King

Individual Learning Task

This task must be completed in your English book. Remember you are in grade six! One word and simple answers are not acceptable. In this activity, you do not need to answer question 11.

Fast Food

Early Finishers

If you have completed your activity to the best of your ability then you can complete your narrative.

Reading

Aliens: Stegosaur Stone By Patricia Bernard
Ghosts: Georges Marvellous Medicine By Roald Dahl
Pirates: Cat’s Mountain By Allan Baillie
Skeletons: How To Eat Fried Worms By Thomas Rockwell

B.T.N

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 3.45.45 pm

Click on the link below to view the BtN story ‘Technology Challenge’.

http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s4433923.htm

Complete the following questions in your English book. Remember to include either the question IN the answer or the question AND the answer.

Screen Shot 2016-04-11 at 3.46.13 pm

Comprehension

Read this story and answer the questions that are on the back of your ‘Charming Beauregarde’ story.

Crooks Never Prosper

Solo Reading

Band-aid

Andy spends an entire story trying to decide whether it is less painful to remove a Band-Aid from his cheek by peeling it off quickly or slowly.

What do you think this story will be about? Write down your ideas.

This is an extract from Andy Griffiths’ story called Band-aid. Read the extract then answer the question that follows.

Have you ever had a Band-Aid on for so long that you can’t tell where the Band-Aid ends and your skin begins?

I have.

In fact, I have one right now.

It’s been on for the last six months.

I’ve grown quite attached to it actually, and it’s grown quite attached to me.

We’ve spent a lot of time together.

I did some calculations and I figured that I’ve had the Band-Aid on for one hundred and eighty-two and a half days, which is four thousand three hundred and eight hours, or two hundred and sixty-two thousand and eight hundred minutes, or fifteen million seven hundred and sixty-eight thousand seconds or, to be even more precise, well, I can’t be any more precise because my calculator conked out when I tried to figure out how many milliseconds. There wasn’t enough room on the screen for all the zeroes.

But you don’t need to know how many milliseconds it is to know that it’s more than enough time for a Band-Aid to get a very serious grip.

It’s not my fault I had to leave it on so long.

It’s Mum’s fault.

If she didn’t act like Band-Aids cost about three million dollars each I’d be able to change them more often. She hides them and if I get hurt — no matter how bad — she’ll only ever let me have one Band-Aid and that’s it.

If I pull it off too soon and ask her for another one she says, ‘Do you think we’re made of Band-Aids? Do you think Band-Aids grow on trees? Do you think Band-Aids are handed out free on street corners?’ And it doesn’t matter how many times I ask her, she won’t give me another one. So I’ve learned to leave them on. But I think I’ve left this one on just a little bit too long.

I’m never going to get it off.

But I have to.

Because we’ve got school photos today.

And it’s on my face. Right under my left eye.

I can’t have my photo taken with a Band-Aid on my face.

I’ll look like an idiot.

I’ll look even stupider than the year I blinked.

And even more stupider than the year the bench I was standing on rocked unexpectedly, and I opened my mouth in surprise.

If I have my picture taken with this Band-Aid on, everybody will look at the photograph when they’re older and they won’t remember me as the brilliant genius I was — they’ll just remember me as the idiot with the Band-Aid on his face.

It’s not fair.

I always get Band-Aids.

Everybody else has these really cool accidents where they end up with their arms and legs in plaster and they get all the sympathy and attention and everybody wants to sign their casts — it makes me sick. Why can’t I get a proper injury like that? It would be so cool to break every bone in my body and have to go to hospital and just lie around and watch television and eat ice-cream all day long.

But that will never happen to me.

If I broke every bone in my body the doctor would just look at me and say, ‘He’ll be right. Just put a couple of Band-Aids on him.’ And then my mum would look at the doctor with her hands on her hips and say, ‘Two Band-Aids? Do you think I’m made of Band-Aids? Do you think Band-Aids grow on trees? Do you think Band-Aids are handed out free on street corners?’ And the doctor would say, ‘Actually, you’re right — one Band-Aid will be adequate.’

Anyway, that’s pretty much the story of my life when it comes to accidents. Nothing too serious. Not even the latest accident, which should have been a lot more serious than it actually was…

Summarise what you have just read in your English book. Predict could have happened next?

When you have completely finished these questions you can read the whole Band-aid story here.

justcrazy-extract

Early Finishers

If you have completed your activity to the best of your ability then grab the Similies/Compound Words sheet from Mr Moore.

Term 4 – Week 4, 2015

Reading + Writing

You will need to read the information and answer the questions in your English book. Rule a margin, title your page and make sure your work is neat!

Solve The Riddle

Comprehension

Look at the following piece on Tigers. You must complete these questions in your English book. Remember to use full sentences and ensure your work is neat!

Note: What ever stance you take on the issue in your answer to question 10, write a paragraph arguing the opposite for question 12.

Note: Do question 11 on a piece of A4 paper and make sure it is display worthy!

(Rep) Tigers

B.T.N

Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 11.49.43 am

Click on the link below and watch the BtN story. Then you need to complete the focus questions in your English book. Remember to either write the question AND the answer or the question IN the answer.

http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s4305305.htm

Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 11.50.56 am

Once you have completed the above questions, you need to move onto this activity.

Screen Shot 2015-10-26 at 11.52.27 am

Worms + Analogies

Analogies

Earthworm Facts

Earthworm Q’s

Term 4 – Week 2, 2015

Reading

We will be reading a short booklet together. Take a seat on the couch.

B.T.N

Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 10.38.17 am

http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s2709798.htm

Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 10.37.22 am

Once you have completed these questions you need to choose a natural disaster, (volcano, earthquake, tsunami, tornado, hurricane, avalanche) and write a detailed paragraph detailing exactly how your chosen disaster occurs.

Now you need to research when your chosen disaster was most destructive. Has there been a point in history where your disaster had colossal and devestating effects?

Spelling

Choose 5 of these root words. In your English book, write down the root word and the definition of the root word. Following this you must find as many words with your root word in it. You also need to right down the definition of each word you find.

Root_words-

Once you have completed this try and find the most common root word.

Grammar

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 10.58.26 amThe comma is the punctuation mark most likely to cause angst. This is largely the result of the many different ways the comma is used. Sometimes, the comma indicates a pause that would occur if the sentence were spoken aloud. Other times, the comma separates grammatical components of the sentence.

Read the following examples and complete the activities:

Grammar – Comma pg 5

Grammar – Comma pg 6

Grammar – Comma pg 7

Screen Shot 2015-10-13 at 11.00.41 am

Term 4 – Week 1, 2015

Comprehension

Look at the following piece on Fast Food. You must complete these questions in your English book. Remember to use full sentences and ensure your work is neat!

(Rep) Fast Food copy

Reading + Writing

We will read this document together. It is called ‘Rev It Up’. You will need to read the information and answer the questions in your English book.

unit_11

Grammar

Verbs

You must complete the following tasks in your English book. Make sure your answers are neat and written in FULL SENTENCES!

Verbs and NV

Once you have completed the above tasks move onto the following document.

Auxiliary verbs

B.T.N

Screen Shot 2015-10-05 at 12.09.16 pm

Please view the below linked story and then answer the questions in your English book.

http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s4301070.htm

1. Write a short (1-2 paragraph) summary of the Ocean Rubbish story.

2. How many pieces of plastic end up in the world’s oceans every day?
3. How does plastic get into the ocean?
4. What can happen when plastics stay in the water for a long time?
5. What are microplastics?
6. Why are they harmful?
7. What is the Great Pacific Garbage Patch?
8. Explain Boyan Slat’s idea to clean up the garbage patch.
9. What can be done to prevent plastics from reaching the ocean?
10. How did this BtN story make you feel?

Term 3 – Week 9, 2015

Grammar

Past and Present Tense

Present and past

Early Finishers: Complete these sentences in your English book. You need to add in the correct words so that the sentences make sense.

Present Tense

Reading + Writing

The following document is aboout volcanoes. You will need to read the information and answer the questions in your English book.

unit_2

Comprehension

Read the following article on Africa. You must complete these questions in your English book. Remember to use full sentences and ensure your work is neat! You need to finish at least the first 10 questions in order to have finished this task.

(Rep) Africa

B.T.N

Screen Shot 2015-08-31 at 8.42.34 am

View the BTN story below and answer the following questions in your English book. Remember to include either the question in the answer or the question and the answer.

http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s4186859.htm

1. Where is the world’s first wave energy farm that is connected to the electricity grid?

2. Where does the energy from a wave come from?

3. What is more than 70% of the Earth’s surface covered with?

4. What is caused when the wind blows over the surface of the water?

5. What is created when some parts of the water are pushed down other areas are pushed up and the water starts spinning?

6. The onshore wave energy plant is connected to what out at sea?

7. What moves when the pipes that pump water back to the plant at high pressure force turbines to spin to make more waves?

8. Where do the buoys sit?

9. The electricity that is being produced is being used to power a nearby…

10. Does wave energy produce Greenhouse gases?

11. What do you think are the positives and negatives of wave energy?

Early Finishers: You can silent read a book of your choice or make an entry in your Writers Notebook.

Term 3 – Week 8, 2015

Grammar

Prefixes + Suffixes

Read and complete each of these prefix and suffix activities in your English book.

This first sheet has the answers and you need to find where they belong.

Prefixes-worksheet-tr5pjj

This second sheet is more difficult and you have to figure out the answers for yourself.

prefixes_and_suffixes-2iw2o7r

Early Finishers: Choose one prefix and one suffix. Give yourself an amount of time (5 minutes should be adequate). Using a timer, find as many prefixes as you can. Following that, reset your timer and try the same again for the suffixes. See which you find more of in the time limit.

B.T.N

http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s2241771.htm

Screen Shot 2015-08-14 at 11.53.21 am

Early Finishers: On an A3 piece of paper, design your own theme park. Ensure that you include rides, stalls, places to eat, paths, signs, plants and a catchy name!

Comprehension

Read this short article and answer the following comprehension questions in your English book.

T3W10 – charming beauregarde

Early Finishers: Create a rhyming poem about what happened to Beauregarde.

Writing

Retribution

Early Finishers: Complete the role of Illustrator Mapper for any part of the text or your own chapter.

Term 2 – Week 5, 2015

Inferencing

Watch: If this video does not work you can find it in the 6M server under reading rotations! It’s called Ormie the Pig

Making inferences means to “read between the lines”, you figure out what the author is trying to portray by filling in what’s not written or illustrated on the page. You can do this by asking the following questions whilst reading:

• The story said _________ which made me think……….
  • I think ___________ will happen because…………
  • When I read ___________ it made me realise……………..
  • How the character acts tells me ………………
  • How the character feels tells me ………………
  • What the character says tells me ………………

Answer the following questions in your English book about the above clip:

1. What was the problem that Ormie faced?
  2. Tell me some of the ways Ormie tried to solve his problem.
  3. If you were Ormie, how would you try and get the cookies? (Think of something different from what he did)
  4. What judgement can we make about Ormie based on what we saw in the video?
  5. List some adjectives to describe Ormie.
  6. How do you feel about the end? Do you think Ormie will ever try that hard again? Why/Why not?
  7. What do you think he will do to get the jar off his head? List.
  8. Tell about a time when you tried really hard for something. Did you succeed or fail?

Comprehension

Read the following article on why people migrate and answer the questions in your English book.

Why Migrate? A Better Life

B.t.N

Watch: http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s4178063.htm

Complete the following questions in your English book:

Discussion Questions

1. Discuss the Chinese Migration story with another student.

2. Who is Anna’s great, great, great Grandfather?

3. He came to Australia from _____________ in ______________.

4. What work did he do when he first arrived in Australia?

5. Where in New South Wales did he set up lots of businesses?

6. Why did many Chinese immigrants come to Australia in the 1850s?

7. What would life have been like for Chinese migrants when they first arrived in Australia?

8. About how many people of Chinese background live in Australia today?

9. How has the town of Wentworth honoured John Egge?

10. In your own words, describe the contribution Chinese migrants have made to Australia.

Reading

http://recycling.about.com/od/Resources/fl/How-Long-Does-It-Take-Garbage-to-Decompose.htm

Term 2 – Week 3, 2015 

Figurative Language

What is personification?

The act of giving human qualities to animals or inanimate objects.

Examples:

– My teddy bear gave me a hug

– The wind howled in the night

– The moon played hide and seek with the clouds

In the 6M server, in the Reading Rotations folder watch the two videos called “Personification” and “The Little Red Pen“.

In your English book, use personification on an inanimate object. Demonstrate this by drawing the character and listing the characteristics that bring it to life!

Write a short story about the character you have created. Must be at least a page long.

Grammar Focus

Get your adjectives on!

Using google images or an appropriate website to collect images about one of the below topics.

• Sport
  • Fashion
  • Cars
  • Animals
  • Movie/rock stars
  • Food
  • Travel

Find and paste pictures about your topic, collage-style into an app of your choice.

Write as many describing adjectives on/below each picture as you can.

Remember there are many different types of adjectives!

• Colors as adjectives: Black, Blue, White, Green, etc.
  • Touch as adjective: Slippery, Sticky, etc.
  • Feelings as adjectives: Happy, Sad, Angry, etc.
  • Sizes as adjectives: Big, Small, Thin, Thick, etc.
  • Origin as adjectives: European, Latin, Greek, etc.
  • Shapes as adjectives: Triangular, Rectangular, Square, Circular, etc.
  • Qualities as adjectives: Good, Bad, Average, etc.
  • Time as adjective: Yearly, Monthly, etc.
  • Age as adjectives: Young, Ancient, Old, etc.
  • Material as adjectives: Wood, Cotton, Gold, etc.
  • Opinions as adjectives: Pretty, hot, expensive, etc.

B.t.N

Watch: http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s2523683.htm

1. Summarise the BtN story about migration cuts.

2. Why was immigration encouraged after the Second World War?

3. How does the Government decide how many immigrants are allowed to stay in Australia?

4. What are skilled migrants?

5. Why are skilled migrants important to the Australian economy?

6. Why has the Government decided to cut the number of skilled migrants?

7. Why do some people disagree with this?

8. Do you think the Government should reduce the number of skilled migrants? Explain your answer.

9. Use three adjectives to describe the influence of immigration on Australia.

10. Has your thinking about immigration changed since watching the BtN story? Why or why not?

As a group, discuss and record what you think it means to be Australian. 

Term 2 – Week 1, 2015

Reading Rotations Grammar Task

Hyperbole is a literary device that uses extreme exaggeration to emphasize a thought.

Examples of hyperbole include “everyone knows…” and “He ran a fast as the speed of light.”

Often used comically, hyperboles are a fun way to spice up writing.

For Example:

I am so hungry I could eat a horse.

I had a tonne of chores to do.

This car goes faster than the speed of light.

Read each sentence below.

If the sentence contains a hyperbole, write it down in your English book as an example.

1) I’m so hungry I could eat a whole elephant! ______________________

2) May is the nicest month of the year. ______________________

3) Her brightly colored dress hurt his eyes. ______________________

4) Larry was such a big baby that this parents had to use bed sheets for diapers. ______________________

5) I ate all of my salad for lunch. ______________________

6) As I approached the horse, it seemed larger than it had in the pasture. ______________________

7) The roof rose up and down to the rhythm of the loud music. ______________________

8) We thought the apple pie was the best kind of dessert for the party. ______________________

9) The dog was so dirty that it had a tomato plant growing on its back. ______________________

10) There were a million replies that popped into her head. ______________

Identify and explain the meaning of each hyperbole in the sentences below.

Part I. Simple Sentences

1) The puppy had ears a mile long. ________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________

2) I want to sleep a hundred years. ________________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________

3)The monsoon seemed as if the floodgates of the heavens had opened. ____________________ ___________________________________________________________________________

4) That knife couldn’t cut hot butter. ______________________________________________ ___________________________________________________________________________

Now watch this video and write down all hyperbole examples you hear.

https://youtu.be/XnGNNu7yCp0

Reading Rotations Grammar Task 2

What is alliteration?

Alliteration happens when words that start with the same sound are used close together in a phrase or sentence. The sound is usually a consonant and the words don’t have to always be right next to one another.

One of the fun features of alliteration is when it becomes a tongue twister.

For example:

The baron was busy as a bee.

The dog was dead as a doornail.

Garry gathered the garbage.

Paula planted the petunias in the pot.

Lazy lizards lying like lumps!

Show Shawn, Sharon’s shabby shoes.

Boil the butter and bring it by the bank.

Find fancy foods.

Activity:

Create a Number mini book using alliteration for the numbers 0 – 10 for your prep buddy. Illustrate each page.

For Example

One orange octopus in the ocean

Reading Rotations Individual Task

http://www.abc.net.au/btn/story/s4191119.htm

Answer these questions as full sentences in your English book.

1. About how many books has Andy Griffiths written?

2. What does he say is the most important part of the writing process?

3. Think of three words to describe Andy Griffiths’ books.

4. What tips does he have for writing great stories?

5. Describe the sorts of stories you like to read and/or write.

6. When you write a story, where do you get your ideas from?

7. Who is your favourite author? Explain your answer.

8. Illustrate an aspect of this story.

9. What did you learn watching the Writing Lesson story?

Band-aid

I have.

In fact, I have one right now.

It’s been on for the last six months.

We’ve spent a lot of time together.

It’s Mum’s fault.

I’m never going to get it off.

But I have to.

Because we’ve got school photos today.

I’ll look like an idiot.

It’s not fair.

I always get Band-Aids.

But that will never happen to me.

justcrazy-extract