Literacy Luminary

Your job is to choose a paragraph, section, sentence or quotation from the book to discuss with your group. Your purpose is to help other students by spotlighting something interesting, powerful, funny, puzzling, confusing, informative, controversial, well written, thought provoking, meaningful, poetic or important from the text. Include your reasons for picking the paragraphs or sections you did. Be sure to elaborate and clearly explain why you picked this particular part. Record the page number and paragraph that the part your chose came from. You need to choose 3 separate parts from the chapters you have read this week. Set your work out in the table as follows:

LITERACY LUMINARY

LOCATION TO BE READ ALOUD BY: REASON FOR CHOOSING
Page 21P/g 2 Jack I picked this passage as I found it surprising that Scott’s mum reacted by saying ‘I wish I had a teacher like that’. I thought this was a very relaxed view from his mum and I liked that she could find the humour in this situation. I would have expected her to be more concerned about Mr. Merlin’s teaching methods.
Page 25P/g 1 Anna The part where the students had to play each other as though they were musical instruments was both funny and strange. I think this activity highlights Mr. Merlin’s imagination and how differently he thinks. I would have liked to watch people pretend to be instruments as it would be interesting to watch children’s imaginations run free.
Page 15Whole page Ben The ‘Why I am Not a Boring Person’ composition that Scott had to write for school grabbed my attention as it really highlights what someone can write when given an interesting topic without any restrictions. Scott totally made up something so obscure but fulfilled the task that was set by Mr. Merlin. He was able to both practice his writing and allow his imagination to run free. The way he described people as having glass skin gave me an instant image in my head. It got me thinking about how cool (and weird!) it would be to be able to see what is going on inside your body.

In your Literacy Circles meeting session:

• Ask the selected group member to read the part you have chosen
  • Share your ‘reason for choosing’ with your group. Allow your group members to respond with their own thoughts, feelings, etc.