Figurative Language Analyser

When reading your chapters, look for 3 uses of figurative language by the author (similes, metaphors, idioms – see description of each below). Set your work out in the table as follows:

Figurative language used in book Page No. / Paragraph Person to read passage Type of figurative language My interpretation of what the author means
E.g. The sea was tall mountains and deep valleys Page 82

p/g 3

Kate Metaphor The sea was extremely rough and very rocky making the boat fly up and down in the water
Simon realised he had just put his foot in his mouth Page 3

p/g 2

Nicole Idiom Simon just said something that he wasn’t supposed to say and it was too late before he realised this.
The cat’s teeth were as sharp as razor blades Page 107

p/g 1

Julie Simile The cat’s teeth are very pointy and sharp and would cut whatever they bit into very easily.

In your Literacy Circles meeting session:

• Have your group members go to the location of each use of figurative language
  • Have someone read the sentence that uses the figurative language aloud
  • Lead your group through a discussion of the figurative language and what the author was trying to say
  • Share with your group what you interpreted the meaning of the figurative language to be

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

FIGURATIVE LANGUAGE OVERVIEW

SIMILE: Uses either the word ‘as’ or ‘like’ to compare 2 things to build an image in the reader’s mind.

For example: The house was as big as a blue whale OR The house was big like a blue whale (these compare how big the house is to the size of a blue whale)

METAPHOR: Suggests a resemblance between 2 things by saying that one thing is something that it isn’t (not literal), thus making an implicit comparison.

For example: My fingers are iceblocks (tells the reader that the fingers must be extremely cold – the fingers are not literally ice-blocks!); The children in my grade are angels (suggests that the children in the grade are lovely, well-behaved children – they are not really angels)

IDIOM: A peculiar expression that is not literally happening.

For example: It’s raining cats and dogs (implies it is raining very heavily – dogs and cats are not literally falling from the sky!); I’ll be keeping tabs on you (meaning I will carefully monitor what you are doing – I will not be keeping ‘tabs’ on you)